Mijung Kwon is interested in finding out how cell division works in normal and cancer cells, and how such insight can be used to develop selective anti-cancer drugs. Centrosome amplification is a hallmark of cancer. Being interested in deciphering how cancer cells prevent chaotic mitoses in the presence of extra centrosomes, her research is focused on identifying molecular machinery and mechanisms that organizes extra centrosomes during cell division. Centrosome amplification is a major route to whole chromosome mis-segregation, leading to the formation of micronuclei. Currently, she studies how defects in nuclear envelope assembly in micronuclei are linked to nuclear envelope integrity and genome stability. She takes an integrated approach utilizing functional genomics, high-resolution imaging, computational image analysis and mathematical modeling to provide new insight into mechanisms controlling cell division and genome stability.
|2010||Instructor in Pediatric Oncology, HMS & DFCI |
|2009-2012||Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Special Fellow|
|2006-2009||Susan Komen Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship|
|2004-2006||Postdoctoral Fellow, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute|
|2004||PhD in Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California Davis. Davis, CA|
- Lee JK, Choi YL, Kwon M, Park PJ. Mechanisms and consequences of cancer genome instability: lessons from genome sequencing studies. Annual Review of Pathology.
- Kwon M. Using cell culture models of centrosome amplification to study centrosome clustering in cancer. Methods in Molecular Biology. (2016) 1413:367-92.
- Kwon M*, Bagonis M, Danuser G, Pellman D*. Direct microtubule-binding by Myosin-10 orients centrosomes towards retraction fibers and subcortical actin clouds. Dev
Cell. (2015) 34(3):323-37. *(corresponding authors)
- Lee D, Acharya S*, Kwon M*, Drane P, Guan Y, Adelmant G, Kalev P, Shah J, Pellman D, Marto JA, Chowdhury D. Dephosphorylation primes the recruitment of 53BP1 to
double-strand DNA breaks. Mol Cell. (2014) 54:512-25. *(equal contribution)
- Breuer M, Kolano A, Kwon M, Li CC, Tsai TF, Pellman
D, Brunet S, Verlhac MH. HURP permits MTOC sorting for robust meiotic
spindle bipolarity, similar to extra centrosome clustering in cancer
cells. J Cell Biol. (2010) 191(7):1251-60.
- Kwiatkowski N, Jelluma N, Filippakopoulos P, Soundararajan M, Manak MS, Kwon M,
Choi HG, Sim T, Deveraux QL, Rottmann S, Pellman D, Shah JV, Kops GJ,
Knapp S, Gray NS. Small-molecule kinase inhibitors provide insight into
Mps1 cell cycle function. Nat Chem Biol. (2010) 6(5):359-68.
- Sommi P, Ananthakrishnan R, Cheerambathur DK, Kwon M, Morales-Mulia S, Brust-Mascher I, Mogilner A. A mitotic kinesin-6, Pav-KLP, mediates interdependent cortical reorganization and spindle dynamics in Drosophila embryos. J Cell Sci. (2010) 123(Pt 11):1862-72.
- Godinho SA*, Kwon M*, Pellman D.
Centrosomes and cancer: how cancer cells divide with too many
centrosomes.Cancer Metastasis Rev. (2009) 28(1-2):85-98.
- Kwon M*,Godinho
SA*, Chandhok NS, Ganem NJ, Azioune A, Thery M, Pellman D.Mechanisms to
suppress multipolar divisions in cancer cells with extra centrosomes.
Genes Dev. (2008) 22(16):2189-203.
Minireview in Cell (2008) 134(4):572-575. “A tale of too many centrosomes”.
Preview in Cancer Cell (2008) 14(3):197-199. “Actin and Microtubules: Working Together to Control Spindle Polarity”.
Perspectives in Genes and Dev (2008) 22 (17):2291-6. “Multiple centrosomes: together they stand, divided they fall”.
Research highlights in Nature Reviews in Molecular Cell Biology (2008) 9:669. “Cancer biology: The counting game”.
- Kwon M, & Scholey JM. Spindle mechanics and dynamics during mitosis in Drosophila. Trends Cell Biol (2004), 14(4):194–205.
- Kwon M, Morales-Mulia S, Brust-Mascher I, Rogers GC, Sharp DJ, & Scholey
JM. The chromokinesin, KLP3A, dives mitotic spindle pole separation
during prometaphase and anaphase and facilitates chromatid motility.
Mol Biol Cell (2004), 15(1):219–33.
- Brust-Mascher I, Civelekoglu-Scholey G, Kwon M,
Mogilner A, Scholey JM.Model for anaphase B: role of three mitotic
motors in a switch from poleward flux to spindle elongation. Proc Natl
Acad Sci U S A (2004) Nov 9;101(45):15938-43.
- Kwon, M.,
Seo, S., Chun, H., Chung, J.M., Chung, I.K., and Hur, K.C. Dual effect
of nerve growth factor on cell death of PC12 cells induced by serum
deprivation. Mol Cells (2002) 13(2):167-7.4
- Sharp DJ, Brown HM, Kwon M,
Rogers GC, Holland G, & Scholey JM. Functional coordination of
three mitotic motors in Drosophila embryos. Mol Biol Cell (2000),